Wednesday 27 August 2014

Catalpa bignonioides



I came across this tree a fortnight ago and it was covered in these pretty flowers that I've never seen the likes of before. Now I know my record on tree identification is exactly tiptop, the infamous jacaranda that turned out to be a foxglove tree sticks in my mind. Nevertheless I'm pretty confident that this is a Catalpa tree because its other name is Indian Bean tree and today it's covered in hundreds of what look just like French runner beans. It's also sometimes called the cigar tree because you can smoke these pods for some mild effects, so I'm told. It comes originally from South-eastern USA. Quite how this specimen got to be hiding in plain sight on Clough Road I can't imagine.



2 comments:

  1. The flowers of that tree are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well spotted sir! As the tree is on Clough Road, I imagine it was planted by Brian Clough or possibly his son Nigel Clough.

    ReplyDelete