Wednesday 11 December 2013

Price of petrol

Chanterlands Avenue
There was a time when petrol was sold by the good old imperial gallon. I remember my father moaning many, many years ago that the price of a gallon was threatening to rise to five shillings (25p in the new money)! Now we've all supposedly gone metric but just about the only things sold by litres are wine and petrol. So the price you see here is 130.9p for a litre of the smelly stuff. How they pay that 0.9p is a mystery known only to accountants. A quick back of the packet of cigarettes calculation makes that £6.26 a gallon. I shudder to think what the Aged P would make of that. As you all know I don't drive so I don't care.

4 comments:

  1. You should care. Almost everything you eat, drink, wear and otherwise consume is delivered by road, and thus is impacted by fuel prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. I was just being a bit flippant on a cold, foggy afternoon. It's a serious matter for all of us.

      Delete
  2. The price of gas looks the same as here ... until you calculate it into $$ from ££.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for translating it to gallons and pounds. I was feeling bad for paying $3.57(and 9/10ths, god knows why, as you said). If we think about where our oil comes from, we'll know why it's so expensive. People die so we can get it.

    The only thing that will bring the price down is if we stop using the stuff. William, you've made a good start.

    ReplyDelete