Friday 3 October 2014

John, Luke, Mark and Matthew


Somehow this massive 18th century carved oak door survived the ravages of the Gilbert Scott's 'restoration' of Beverley Minster. The door depicts from right to left the four evangelists Matthew, Mark, Luke and John with their respective symbols. A family of craftsmen by the name of Thornton is responsible for this door and the baptismal font cover which I'll show some time soon. The same Thorntons also saved the North transept from collapsing.
In reality the door is a very dark brown  but my camera failed me (or I failed it) and underexposed it; so to make an anywhere decent image I've had to play around ending up with this black and white image, it's a bit clearer if you click on it for the bigger version. Below shows the impressive door surround (they did like their statues back then) and the base of the West window which I'll show tomorrow.


The Weekend in Black and White is here.

2 comments:

  1. It's impressive, and it feels big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fine door. Your photo shows the detail well. I visited Beverly Minster way back in 1958 - I was impressed by its beauty.

    ReplyDelete