Sunday 21 May 2017

Now with even less


As I was passing down Beverley Road I thought  I may as well mention (again) the ongoing, seemingly eternal, saga of this derelict building. For those who are new to Hull (& where have you been all our lives?) this is the remains of the National Picture Theatre destroyed by a bomb in WW2, seventy six years ago and allowed to stand (and slowly fall) in this state ever since; it claims to be the last blitz damaged civilian building in the country. Is there an award for long term neglect? Hull has no shame and would win that one, no worries.
In the near five years since I posted about it the Council have been led a merry dance by the owner who wants to use it for some purpose that was clearly unsuitable (to the Council and other busybodies, I couldn't care less). The building on the left, the old Swan pub, is owned by the same person and started to be renovated as an Indian restaurant but that stopped after a few weeks (I suspect that was some sort of ploy to hold off the Council). The last rumour I heard was  the Council has finally agreed to compulsory purchase it but whether that has actually happened I don't know. The feeling that nobody has a clue what is going on in this place has been with me for decades.
I'm guessing in five or so years time, if I'm still doing this nonsense, I'll pass by and nothing much will have changed, even the ghost cars will be the same ...


Margot took this; she likes old wrecked things ...

1 comment:

  1. I am reminded of a building here that, thanks to a bit of an accident inside during renovations, partially collapsed. While part of the blame for the years on end now of the place being cordoned off and nothing done to it belongs to the city, the bulk of that blame belongs to the owner, who routinely delays, deflects, or is just plain silent for months on end. The man's an incompetent ass who's spent years making excuses.

    ReplyDelete